Cloud for Healthcare & Life Sciences
1,000+ global compliance requirements validated by third parties
32 AWS Regions to support global reach and data sovereignty
50+ global genomics initiatives powered by AWS
90+ open healthcare, life sciences, and genomic datasets
Specialists with AWS
AWS empowers healthcare and life sciences
Raise your security posture and simplify compliance with more than 130 HIPAA-eligible services. On AWS, you benefit from the scale and reliability of the most extensive global cloud infrastructure.
Work with a team of dedicated healthcare and life sciences industry specialists who can support your digital transformation and innovation programs.
We can help you …
Transform Your Healthcare Operations with AWS Cloud
AWS Clinical Systems solutions
A robust and efficient clinical system is crucial for patient-focused care. By leveraging AWS and ATG solutions, healthcare organizations have the opportunity to upgrade their clinical systems. This modernization effort significantly reduces administrative tasks for clinicians, enabling them to concentrate on providing superior patient experiences.
AWS Analytics and AI/ML solutions
AWS empowers healthcare organizations to seamlessly implement analytics and machine learning (ML) tools, unlocking valuable insights from their health data. Utilizing AWS’s specialized AI services for vision, transcription, natural language processing, and document understanding, along with its extensive machine learning platform, organizations can leverage analytics and ML to tackle various challenges in the health industry. This includes enhancing patient outcomes and minimizing physician burnout.
AWS Patient and clinician experience solutions
Utilize almost instant voice and video communications, digital front door technologies, and AI/ML innovations to enhance the experience for patients, members, and clinicians alike.
AWS Medical Research solutions
AWS enables researchers to swiftly process extensive data pipelines, archive data in the petabyte range, and propel research forward with cutting-edge technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and quantum computing. This allows researchers to distribute their findings with global collaborators, ultimately enhancing patient outcomes.
AWS Finance and Operations solutions
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and related business system solutions are instrumental for healthcare organizations in overseeing essential functions like accounting, marketing, finance, inventory, and human resources. AWS and its partners offer these organizations easy and quick access to cloud computing resources, enabling them to efficiently manage the complete healthcare revenue cycle.
AWS Core health IT solutions
AWS and ATG offer specialized solutions to overcome fundamental challenges in the health IT sector, empowering healthcare entities to function securely within a strictly regulated international landscape. By leveraging tailor-made solutions on one of the most reliable and secure cloud platforms, these organizations are able to implement disaster recovery strategies, manage variable storage requirements, ensure data accessibility from any location, and enhance overall operational efficiency across the board.
OB Hospitalist Group Increases Reliability for Customers through ATG’s Elastic Engineering and HIPAA-Compliant AWS Migration
Modernizing Legacy Architectures with Cloud Strategies & Solutions
ATG Enhances Cloud Strategy & Performance for FamilyTrac
Industry Use Cases
We’ve highlighted some examples of applying AWS for Healthcare
Use Case: Secure Patient Data Management and Analytics Platform
- Data Storage and Management:
- Amazon S3: Use Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) for scalable and secure object storage. S3 can store vast amounts of structured and unstructured data, such as medical records, imaging files, and lab results.
- Amazon RDS: Deploy Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) for managed relational databases to store structured data such as patient records, appointment schedules, and billing information, with automated backups, encryption, and compliance capabilities.
- Security and Compliance:
- AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM): Configure IAM to control access to AWS services and resources securely, ensuring that only authorized personnel can access sensitive patient data.
- Amazon Cognito: Implement Amazon Cognito for secure user authentication and access control in healthcare applications, enhancing patient data protection.
- AWS Key Management Service (KMS): Use AWS KMS for centralized management of cryptographic keys used to encrypt data at rest and in transit, ensuring data security and compliance with healthcare regulations.
- Interoperability and Patient Engagement:
- Amazon HealthLake: Leverage Amazon HealthLake to store, transform, and analyze health data in the cloud, following the FHIR (Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources) standard, facilitating better interoperability and patient engagement through secure data exchange.
Use Case: Telemedicine Platform Deployment on AWS
- Amazon EC2 & Auto Scaling: For hosting the telemedicine application, ensuring it can scale automatically to accommodate varying loads, especially during peak usage times.
- Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier: For cost-effective storage and archiving of patient data, including medical records, images, and consultation recordings, with robust data encryption and security measures to ensure compliance with healthcare regulations.
- Amazon RDS / Amazon Aurora: To manage patient data, including personal information, health records, and consultation notes, ensuring high availability, data security, and seamless integration with existing EHR systems.
- AWS Lambda and Amazon API Gateway: For serverless computing needs, allowing the healthcare provider to run code in response to events (such as appointment bookings or alerts from wearable devices) without managing servers, and to create, publish, maintain, monitor, and secure APIs at any scale.
- Amazon Chime SDK: Integration into the telemedicine application to provide secure, scalable, and easy-to-use video conferencing services directly within the healthcare application, facilitating real-time doctor-patient consultations.
- AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) & AWS Key Management Service (KMS): To manage access to AWS services and resources securely, ensuring that only authorized users can access sensitive patient data, and to manage encryption keys used to secure data.
- AWS Shield & AWS WAF: To protect the telemedicine platform from web exploits and DDoS attacks, ensuring that the service remains available and secure for users.
Research & Development
Use Case: Accelerate R&D processes for new drug discovery, clinical trials, and genomic sequencing.
- AWS and Amazon Transcribe Genomics (ATG) were employed to facilitate genomics research. ATG provided scalable and secure genomic analysis capabilities, allowing researchers to process and analyze genomic sequences efficiently.
- AI/ML on AWS for Health R&D: The company leveraged Amazon SageMaker to build, train, and deploy machine learning models for drug discovery and to predict clinical trial outcomes. AWS’s vast array of AI/ML services enabled the rapid development of predictive models, significantly reducing the time and cost associated with traditional R&D processes.
- Secure Data in Cloud: Utilizing AWS’s comprehensive security features, including encryption, identity and access management (IAM), and compliance certifications, the company ensured that all R&D data remained secure and compliant with global healthcare regulations such as HIPAA and GDPR.
- Disaster Recovery (DR) and Business Continuity (BC): AWS’s global infrastructure provided robust DR and BC capabilities. The company implemented Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier for data backup, Amazon Route 53 for DNS failover, and AWS CloudFormation for quick infrastructure redeployment, ensuring minimal downtime and continuous R&D operations.
Compliance & Regulations
Use Case: AWS Cloud Services for Compliance & Regulations
- Navigating Regulations and Ensuring Compliance in Cloud: The organization utilized AWS’s expertise and resources for navigating complex healthcare regulations. AWS provides guidance and documentation on how its services can be used in a compliant manner, including the AWS Compliance Program, which helps customers understand regulatory requirements and ensure their cloud environments are compliant.
- Cloud Architectural Risk Assessment: Leveraging AWS tools such as AWS Well-Architected Tool and AWS Trusted Advisor, the organization conducted thorough risk assessments of its cloud architecture. These tools helped identify and rectify potential vulnerabilities, ensuring that the cloud infrastructure was optimized for security, reliability, and compliance.
- Cloud Security Posture Assessment: The organization used AWS Security Hub and Amazon Inspector to continuously assess the security posture of its cloud environment. These services provided comprehensive visibility into security and compliance status, automating checks against industry standards and best practices, and identifying specific areas for improvement.